Gastova: The Witches of Arkana Press Kit
Table of Contents
Developer: MechWolf Productions
Based in Vancouver, B.C, with contributors from around the globe.
Release Date: TBA
Platforms: Steam/PC, Nintendo Switch
Pricing Information: TBA
Andy Lin: Game Producer, Programmer, Level Designer, Writer
Rayane Félix: Art Director, Lead Artist/Animator, Level/Character Designer
Aekashics: Animation, Character Design
Marcos Freire: Animation
Maxcreed: Animation, Cutscenes
Bertanha: Animation, Backgrounds
Lunatic Red: Animation, Title Sprites
RTN: Character Snapshots, Wardrobe Art
FYRES Studios: Music Composition
Youtube: MechWolf Productions Channel
Mechwolf Productions allows for the contents of Gastova: The Witches of Arkana to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from Gastova: The Witches of Arkana is legally & explicitly allowed by Mechwolf Productions. This permission can be found in writing at:
Gastova is a light-hearted 2D adventure game. As the Guardian witch of Arkana, embark on a journey to track down and defeat the fellow witches that were once Gastova’s classmates and/or closest friends. Gastova is able to utilize the power of all the other witches who finds her worthy. Defeat the other witches to receive their blessing and awaken Gastova’s power to channel her friend’s magic and defeat the culprit behind all the chaos!
Inspired by classics such as Mega Man and Wonder Boy, we are committed to deliver a satisfying single-player experience for all the fans of the retro platforming genre.
Gastova started on April 2019 as a small scale platform shooter, made in Unity, as a side project meant for our personal enjoyment. The initial inspiration was Wonderboy 3: The Dragon’s Trap, utilizing the core concepts of
moving left and right to get across several areas to fight bosses, becoming more powerful in the process. We then introduced some metroidvania elements, such as level verticality, backtracking as well as minor rpg elements, while still aiming for simplicity and praticality.
By the end of the year, we had realized the game had potential to be much more, but lacked the proper funding to realize the vision. We turned to Kickstarter to create a campaign to gauge interest in the project. The campaing started on February 12th, 2020. We got successfully funded on March 14th of the same year, thanks to our wonderful 323 backers.
- Cute 2D pixel art graphics, with a colorful palette and a wide variety of beautifully made sprite animations, portraits and backgrounds!
- Simple and practical mechanics, focusing on the fundamentals of the genre, you must shoot, jump, dash and use the obtainable unique powers to beat the challenges ahead. The game is heavily action driven.
- Classic platformer shooter meets metroidvania for a familiar yet engaging experience. You can upgrade Gastova and her abilities at the cost of loot collected naturally throughout the gameplay loop by defeating enemies and exploring the levels.
- Over 100+ unique enemies and 20+ bosses to challenge you and keep you on your toes.
- A light-hearted setting focusing on Gastova and her friends taking on a mystery that needs to be solved as each witch is under a mysterious spell that pits them against our protagonist. Gastova has a Character-driven story tied to an overarching lore to keep you engaged until the very end.
- A masterfully crafted original soundtrack score, with themes for characters, scenes and stages, each tune perfect to their respective mood.